Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Happy Birthday, Beverly Cleary!

Today is Beverly Cleary's birthday and also National D.E.A.R. Day, or Drop Everything and Read Day. For more info on this day, click here.

  
I heart Beverly Cleary. RAMONA AND HER FATHER was the first chapter book I read when I was a kid Ramona Quimby was and still is one of my favorite heroines from kidlit. I always understood where Ramona was coming from- from her exacting revenge on her classmate Susan for copying her owl to her if-only daydream of being  a star in a TV commercial to her embarrassment from cracking a raw egg on her head in front of her classmates. 

One of my favorite Ramona moments is from BEEZUS AND RAMONA (I think).  Beezus freaks out 'cuz she thinks Ramona's gone missing and then she finds her in the basement where Ramona has been busy taking one bite of each apple from a crate of fruit. Totally something I would have done at that age.

If anyone has any favorite Ramona memories they'd like to share, feel free to leave a comment!

0 comments:

Post a Comment