Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What I'd Be Doing During NaNoWriMo

It's National Novel Writing Month! I've never written a novel during NaNoWriMo, but I do like reading about people who pursue their dreams of being novelists during this month (as well as the other eleven months of the year). Someday, I'd like to participate in NaNoWriMo, to start a novel from a shaky start to a sloppy first draft finish, and then call it a month. 

This November, however, I'll be busy at working on revising my WIP. It has already gone through a few drafts. I recently ran my MS through a couple of AWESOME critique buddies, and have been reflecting on how to incorporate their feedback into the final drafts. 

Revising isn't easy. I'm forced to look at my work from a neutral perspective and I have to frequently remind myself that it doesn't matter if I'm smitten with a part that I'd written- what I need to consider now is if an agent or editor or intended reader would get it too. If not, it means I need to cut or revise. That's why I make it a point not to fall too deeply in love with my first drafts because chances are, I'm going to need to tweak a lot of the stuff around.

How would you be spending NaNoWriMo? (Responses don't have to be writing-related.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment