Wednesday, June 7, 2017

IWSG: Broken Promises of Writing Time

It's IWSG day, a monthly event author Alex Cavanaugh started to get writers sharing about insecurities and other stuff going on in their lives.
I know I'm posting really late Wednesday night. I have been crazy busy with work, family, and it's also the last week of school before summer break at my daughter's school, etc...  

But if I am extremely disciplined, I can finish off my workload for next week and have a free week to work on my novel! I have to admit that I've been somewhat neglecting my novel because of all my other responsibilities. But the idea of a juicy week to indulge in my WIP is really motivating me to keep burning the midnight oil. 

My cynical side keeps reminding me of the times the promises I made to myself of free time were broken when something unexpected came up (e.g. a suddenly comatose laptop, a power outage, someone gets sick) to infringe on that free time so that the free time was never more. Sometimes just the thought of losing the free time I worked so hard for slows me down.

But I've been working on my WIP long enough that I just need to do what it takes to finish it, even if it means pushing myself to earn a week of free time with the risk of losing it. 

What unexpected things have infringed on your writing time?

9 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

Something always seems to want to pop up, but that's life indeed. Have to sneak in the free time when we can.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Just do the best you can with whatever happens. You'll get that WiP work done some how, some way. :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Oh yes, I have had many interruptions over the year. Hope you have a good week of writing.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Make it happen! I used my free time away from blogging last week to write.

S.P. Bowers said...

So many things can pop up. You just have to try and stay dedicated and ignore everything but the essential stuff, such as kids. Which it seems your doing. You're working pretty hard to make this happen so I think you will. Good luck!

The Silver Fox said...

Life is always throwing unexpected crap at us, but it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things. Good luck getting things finished!

Nice to see you back, by the way!

Liz A. said...

Totally sucks when that happens. But sometimes things do go wrong. I hope you get your week of "free time". Good luck.

Kyra Lennon said...

Those unexpected things that pop up are always a pain! Hopefully nothing will get in your way this time!

Tamara Narayan said...

If I start eyeing a block of time with writing in mind, one or both of my children get sick. It's a little spooky.

Post a Comment